Sunday, February 2, 2014

Veggie Latkes

I like to add veggies to my latkes so I don't feel as guilty for eating fried potatoes. Today I added carrots, kale and red onions. One of my favorites is spinach and feta cheese, which I'll probably post here eventually. Zucchini also works very well. But the traditional latkes with applesauce are just as delicious! I usually make them for breakfast with an over easy egg on top. If you'd like to make them gluten free, try garbanzo flour. It adds a nice flavor.


Veggie Latkes

4 Russet Potatoes, peeled and grated
1 lg Carrot, grated
3 Kale leaves, remove stalks, roll then finely slice
1/2 Red Onion, finely diced
2 TBS flour
1 Egg, beaten (optional)
Salt and Pepper
Oil for frying (I used organic expeller pressed canola)

Combine potatoes and vegetables in a large bowl. Season with sea salt and pepper, add egg if you are using one. Add flour and coat well. 
In a large frying pan, add oil until the bottom of the pan is covered. Heat over medium flame until you drop in one shred of potato and it sizzles. Using a fork, spoon or your hands, drop small amounts of mixture into the oil. I use a fork to shape and lightly pat down into a small disc shape. Fry until golden brown then carefully turn over and brown the other side. Drain on paper towels. You can keep them warm in a 250 degree oven until you're ready to serve.

NOTES: The drier the potatoes, the better the latkes. Red potatoes have too much moisture and will make your latkes soft.





No comments:

Post a Comment